Inspired by Blue Ocean Strategy’s 4 Actions Framework, use this model to help you clarify what’s really working in your marketing plan and what you can do to improve it.
1. Make a list of all the marketing tactics you currently do. Write each one on separate post-its to make this exercise easier.
2. Next, write down a list of marketing tactics you’ve never tried before (all of them regardless of cost and feasibility). Again, write them on post-its.
3. Based on your perception of the effectiveness (generally: costs / results) of each, ask yourself:
- Which of your current marketing tactics should be increased?
- Which of your current marketing tactics should be reduced?
- What marketing tactics should you consider eliminating?
On a whiteboard, draw a diagram similar to this and place each post-it in the appropriate box.
4. After you’ve evaluated your current efforts then ask yourself from your brainstormed list:
- What marketing tactics should you consider adding?
5. Do further research on implementing those new tactics.
6. Review your answers and use it as the basis for restructuring your marketing plan.