Here’s a quick exercise that can really help to clarify your value proposition for all of your marketing efforts. Answer the following questions to create a Brand Value Pyramid, which you can use to ensure that you have a consistent message that tells the customers you want exactly why they should buy from you.
- What do you offer? At the core, what are you really selling to people? What is the need you’re satisfying? Sum it up in one thing.
- Who are your best customers now? Identify the current customers who you love to work with.
- Who is your ideal customer? Describe the kind of person who would be perfect for your product.
- Why should your ideal customer choose your company? What are the top 3 reasons why they should buy your product?
- Why do you do what you do? Don’t say “to earn a profit.” Write 4 reasons why you’re really in the business you’re in.
- Where do you most often reach with your customers? What are your 5 top customer touchpoints? These are the areas you need to optimize to ensure you’re communicating a consistent message.