September 6, 2013
Need a solution to a tough marketing problem? Try this model to help you to solve it step-by-step. The Marketing Strategy Canvas is a one-page template to help you outline your marketing planning. There are four questions you need to ask:
IDENTIFICATION: What is the problem?
DIAGNOSIS: What are some causes to the problem?
STRATEGIES: What are the overall things we need to focus on?
TACTICS: What are some specific things we can do to execute the strategies?
It is recommended that you gather a team of employees for a brainstorm session to answer these questions.
Example: Startup baked goods company
- Can’t seem to grow the business to sustainably profitable level
- Lots of competition
- Currently limited sales volume
- While the quality of our current offerings is higher, it may not be discernibly better than alternatives
- Current distribution doesn’t provide a path for sustainable growth
- Raise awareness and build brand identity
- Focus on novel creations
- Create more sampling opportunities
- Weekly Creations
- Create 1 completely new dish per week for 10 weeks
- Write story of inspiration for dish on blog
- Post on social networks
- Surprise Delights
- Identify 10 colleagues that work in companies with a good portion of your core customer
- Make a batch of your most recent new creation each week
- Drop in an deliver the batch to friend to share with office
- Include a card with link to a survey
- Ask friend to post on social networks
- Farmers’ Markets
- Become a vendor at a Farmers’ Market in the Windward area
- Sell half staple products, half new creations
- Expand to other Markets as feasible