September 6, 2013
Need a solution to a tough marketing problem? Try this model to help you to solve it step-by-step. The Marketing Strategy Canvas is a one-page template to help you outline your marketing planning. There are four questions you need to ask:
What is the problem?
What are some causes to the problem?
What are the overall things we need to focus on?
What are some specific things we can do to execute the strategies?
It is recommended that you gather a team of employees for a brainstorm session to answer these questions.
Example: Startup baked goods company
- Can’t seem to grow the business to sustainably profitable level
- Lots of competition
- Currently limited sales volume
- While the quality of our current offerings is higher, it may not be discernibly better than alternatives
- Current distribution doesn’t provide a path for sustainable growth
- Raise awareness and build brand identity
- Focus on novel creations
- Create more sampling opportunities
- Weekly Creations
- Create 1 completely new dish per week for 10 weeks
- Write story of inspiration for dish on blog
- Post on social networks
- Surprise Delights
- Identify 10 colleagues that work in companies with a good portion of your core customer
- Make a batch of your most recent new creation each week
- Drop in an deliver the batch to friend to share with office
- Include a card with link to a survey
- Ask friend to post on social networks
- Farmers’ Markets
- Become a vendor at a Farmers’ Market in the Windward area
- Sell half staple products, half new creations
- Expand to other Markets as feasible