1. People hate advertising.
They quickly flip the page. They go to the bathroom during the commercial break. They ignore it on the side of their timeline. They do whatever they can to avoid it, much to the dismay of business owners everywhere.
2. Their hatred is caused by distrust.
The reason they hate advertising is because they don’t believe you. They’re used to ads claiming one thing but delivering something else. Puffery, exaggeration, outlandish claims and outright deception have become commonplace. So why bother listening to what your ad has to say?
3. You can get them to trust you.
However, there is a way to transform that hatred into loyalty. There is a way to get them to believe in you. It is not easy. But it is every advertiser’s ultimate purpose.
4. Trust can be created by following the Eightfold Path.
- Correct vision: See things as they are. Have a realistic view of your customers and your product. Don’t try to be something you’re not.
- Correct intentions: Don’t try to fool people. Don’t bait and switch. Be upfront in everything you do.
- Correct speech: Say what you mean. Don’t obfuscate the details. Communicate genuinely.
- Correct actions: Do the right thing. How do you know if it’s the right thing? Ask yourself, “if someone was doing it to you, would you appreciate it or not?”
- Correct livelihood: Sell your product or services without harming anyone.
- Correct effort: Have passion for what you do and act accordingly.
- Correct mindfulness: Don’t focus on things that don’t really matter. Don’t try to be like your competition. Be the best at what you do.
- Correct concentration: Focus on your core competencies. Prioritize value creation activities.